Thinking of reporting sex-related issues?
Some thoughts on handling controversy
At least two schools this winter have had issues with reporting about sex. Newbury Park High, California, and Rochester, Michigan, experienced complaints not only about the content but about images used in their coverage.
An SPLC article published March 20 looks at both events and the resulting concerns, and is worth your reading. The article also contains important links to additional information.
Update: Since this blog was posted a little over an hour ago, add one more controversial reporting incident at Fauquier High School in Virginia.
For additional information about handling controversy, see:
• Reporting controversy requires establish a sound process
• A high school news advisers’ preemptive trouble-shooting guide
• Use anonymous sources with care
• Verification before publication prevents many issues
• Practice sensitivity in your reporting